After the year we’ve had, we hope you’ve dedicated this summer to treating yourself, but if you’d prefer to settle down with something a little bit healthier as you soak up the last of the summer rays, this Vegetable Bulgar Wheat Salad is sure to get your mouth watering. Far from your usual salad, this delicious bowl is packed with bulgur wheat, succulent butternut squash, plump plum tomatoes and much more to leave you feeling satiated and nourished. Ideal for meal prepping during the week for healthy lunches, or for serving to your guests on a balmy evening, this salad will help you find your inner health guru… it’s our new go-to!
- 400g butternut squash chunks
- 1 corn on the cob, shaved into shards
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 400g cooked bulgur wheat
- 250g chickpeas
- 100g baby plum tomatoes, quartered
- 100g spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 50g parsley, chopped
- 50g fresh mint, chopped
- 1/2 yellow pepper, chopped
- 100g pomegranate seeds
- 50g kale, chopped
- 50g feta cheese, crumbled
For the dressing:
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon of vegetable bouillon
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 tablespoon of water
For the yoghurt dressing:
- 100ml natural yoghurt
- 1/2 cucumber, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- A handful each of: coriander, mint, parsley
- 1 green chilli
- 1 – 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
- In a bowl, toss the olive oil and garlic, then season with salt and pepper. Stir in the butternut squash and corn to coat. Turn out onto a baking sheet in a single layer and bake for approximately 25 minutes until the squash is tender, adding the kale 10 minutes before the end of cooking.
- For the dressing: in a bowl, add the lemon zest and juice, vegetable bouillon, honey and water, then stir until combined.
- Place all the remaining ingredients (except the feta, and reserve some of the pomegranate seeds) into a large serving bowl. Lightly toss in the roasted squash, corn and kale, then pour over the dressing and stir well so that the dressing is evenly distributed.
- Sprinkle with feta cheese and the reserved pomegranate seeds. Serve warm or chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
Serve with the yoghurt dressing.
And there you have it – a beautifully balanced but totally delicious bowl to keep you feeling healthy and satisfied. If this has inspired you to embrace the summer and make the most of it, why not check out our summer home edit here?